From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Marna WALLE
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 12:51 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Serverpac installs January 2022 and beyond - Requests

External Email

Hi Terri,
When adding an Software Instance that you already have (say, z/OS V2.4), you
are telling z/OSMF the CSI and zones to use.  Those DDDEFs, presumably, will be
correct with the data set names, volumes, and paths.  Those DDDEFs will be used
as a model on the incoming z/OS CSI DDDEFs.  That will save you hundreds of
customizations to do for z/OS V2.5 and beyond.  I've seen many ServerPac saved
configurations that are stale, and the CSI DDDEFs are the correct and current
values.  Meaning, that the ServerPac saved configuration can "drift" out of
accuracy over time, but the CSI DDDEFs had better not. That is what I mean by
saving time.  Especially when you are basing on a known, accurate, SMP/E
configuration.

For the shipped configuration data sets (like CPAC.*):  if you add those data
sets to that Software Instance, then those data sets can be modelled too.  If
you choose not to, the worst thing is that the 16 CPAC data sets shipped with
z/OS V2.5, can be modified *en masse* within the z/OSMF interface.  Since they
are all shipped with a HLQ of CPAC, it is very easy to filter, select, move,
rename them as a group.  With the z/OS V2.5 Software Instance, they then become
known and can be modelled with future z/OS Portable Software Instances.

For the catalog:  depending on what catalog options you want - new master cat,
existing master cat and the data set names you select - the existing structure
you have on your driving system can be used and detected, should you wish to
use it.  If you want a new master cat, you will need to supply the name and the
temporary catalog alias of your choice (aka SSA), just like in the old
ServerPac.  If you want all your data sets to begin with "ZOSV25", and you have
that existing HLQ alias going to an existing usercat today, no problem, that
will be used.  If you want to create a new master catalog, and use "MYSSA" as
the temporary catalog alias, you'll need to supply that, just like in the old
ServerPac.  The catalog structure, I see, is similar to how the old ServerPac
did it.  Although, there is a lot more flexibility, because you can rename any
data set, and put it in any catalog you want, with only VSAM (including zFS)
forced to be cataloged.  The old ServerPac had lots of restrictions on what
could be renamed, and where it had to be cataloged.

-Marna WALLE
z/OS System Install and Upgrade
IBM Poughkeepsie

 [https://go.aciworldwide.com/rs/030-ROK-804/images/aci-footer.jpg]
<http://www.aciworldwide.com>
This email message and any attachments may contain confidential, proprietary or
non-public information. The information is intended solely for the designated
recipient(s). If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this
email, please notify the sender immediately and destroy this email. Any review,
dissemination, use or reliance upon this information by unintended recipients
is prohibited. Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the author
personally.