I wrote up the results of trying Dave Plummer's software drag racing on z/OS.

The focus is mainly Java vs C++ because I do SMF processing in Java, and people like to tell me Java is too slow. Results are here:

https://www.blackhillsoftware.com/news/2021/08/10/java-vs-c-drag-racing-on-z-os/

The TLDR summary:

- Initially, the Java solution was much faster than C++
- With some work, C++ matched the speed of Java
- Rewriting the Java code to match the faster C++ code made Java slower, to the point where the results were about what you would expect in a C++ vs Java comparison - If you have a zIIP and your CPs are not full speed, Java might be the fastest language on your system by a big margin.

--
Andrew Rowley
Black Hill Software