Bill, no need to get defensive. I have written z/OS and Linux (multiple
platform) internals and also user-facing code. Guess which one is harder?

Rhetorical question. Both are really hard to do well.

z/OS internals are notoriously under-commented and under-understood (I
wanted to make up a word).

Users are notoriously bad at doing "normal" things. They often do really
unexpected things.

Anyone can write complex code. However, writing complex code that WORKS
even when the user or application calling you is not also you (or written
by you) is really hard.

Whether it's a massive behemoth (like z/OS) or a short 40-line REXX
program, one should be able to appreciate quality code.

Claiming that writing in REXX isn't really programming is just rude and
you should go think about what you have done, in my opinion.

Eric Rossman, CISSP®
ICSF Cryptographic Security Development
z/OS Enabling Technologies
edros...@us.ibm.com