Bill,

DB2 will hold the thread open for a short time waiting to see if it can be
reused.  It's expensive to create/destroy threads.

Do you have Omegamon, or CICS/Mon, or some other monitoring tool, mostly
for CiCS?  If so, take a look at those transactions
and I think you'll see the DB2 time is very small (DB2 is unbelievably
efficient these days), but CICS will have some latency
like transaction creation/termination, if cross-memory services are being
used, there's a cost for that.  You should probably
see the vast majority of that 30-50 seconds spent in CICS internally,
though CICS' actual CPU time will be very small also.
CICS is quite efficient, too.

The last CICS/DB2 shop I was in had extremely quick internal times for CICS
and DB2, but the entire transaction would
easily take several seconds due to transaction routing, cross-memory
services, etc.

30-50 seconds sounds pretty extreme, though.  There may be some tuning
opportunities on the CICS side.

Ramsey