From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Phil Smith III
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 3:09 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: PL/I vs. JCL

A friend writes:

In a conversation elsewhere I mentioned the oops between JCL using /* as end
of dataset and PL/I using /* */ for comment brackets - meaning that PL/I had
to start in column 2 to prevent a comment from being interpreted as JCL.
Oopsie. Does anyone remember which came first? There was some rumor that I
no longer remember that one group didn't like the other group so some of
this done on purpose.

I've never heard this, which proves nothing much, but leads me to ask:
anyone else here ever heard it? I'd've guessed JCL came first, since PL/I
was still in development as of December 1964 per the Wikipedia page. But
this is the right place to get some answers (or at least opinions)!