On Tue, 28 Sep 2021 21:22:29 -0500, Bruce Hewson wrote:

>an OMVS question.
>
>We are looking for a way to compare 2 filesystem structures, starting at root
>'/'.
>
>Differences we want to identify:-
>
>1.  directory
>2. file
>3. symlink
>
>It is the last we are having trouble working out how to go about it.

Symlinks are a problem for diff because diff doesn't distinguish a symlink
from the file it references.  You might isolate the symlinks with:
    find . -type l -exec ls -l {} \; |
        sed -E 's/( *[^ ]*){8}//'  >TheLinks
... in each filesystem and compare the generated listings of links.

What's your objective:
o Merely to verify that the filesystems are identical?
o To resolve any differences?

Also try:
<mailto:lists...@vm.marist.edu?subject=INFO%20-%20Thx!%0D%0A&body=INFO%20MVS-OE%0D%0AThanks%0D%0A>

-- gil