On Thu, 30 Sep 2021 00:35:39 -0500, Bruce Hewson wrote:

>My thanks to all who responded, but especially to Bill Schoen for the fscp
>exec.

He's brilliant, dedicated, and generous.  Sometimes he has translated my merest
wishes into funcrtion.

>Although not being permitted to access guthub from office directly, I was able
>to get a copy of the exec.

That's to prevent your slacking while pretending to be productive.
Sneakernet Rules1

>As to original reason, looking at merging the new IBM z/OS  supplied UNIX
>configuration into the existing environment programmatically.

Ah!  I exaggerated your requirement.  For that, Dr. Crudele's HFSDIRC is
adequate, perhaps ideal.
But  a point of technique:

    "du "dir1" > lsdir1"
    "du "dir2" > lsdir2"
leave the lsdir? files cluttered with path parts.

    "( cd "dir1" && pwd && du . ) > lsdir1"
    "( cd "dir2" && pwd && du . ) > lsdir2"
show relative paths; no such clutter; easier to compare with diff or ISRSUPC
ISRSUPC, but not diff, might be able to strip the clutter with column ranges.

"cd" is a powerful function.  The TSO designers tried to approximate it with
PROFILE PREFIX, but largely missed the mark.

-- gil