From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Attila Fogarasi
Sent: Thursday, October 7, 2021 10:55 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Linkling an object from VSE to be used in z/OS

MVS format object decks always have x'02' in column 1 and not "W", so that
would be a problem.  You would also need to link with an appropriate Cobol
runtime library, and those would have been EOL circa 30 years ago.  Worst case
you might have to disassemble and recreate this module, eliminating the VSE
dependencies (some are usually unavoidable).

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 6:22 PM Gadi Ben-Avi <gad...@malam.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I was asked to attempt to link a object deck from VSE in z/OS.
> The program is a COBOL2 program, but the source has been lost.
>
> The first few lines of the object deck are:
> W PHASE JKHIVX52,S+X'000000'
> W MODE AMODE(31),RMODE(ANY)
> W.ESD      ..  ..JKHIVX52.§.©..÷0
>
> After that there are many (A little over 12,000) lines that start with
> W.TXT Next there are lines that start with W.RLD and a final like that
> starts with W.END.
>
> The JCL I used was
> //LKED     EXEC  PGM=IEWL,
> //         PARM='LIST,XREF,NOLET,MAP',
> //         REGION=2M
> //SYSLIN   DD DSN=N623.PMKA.KPMAT.JKHIVX52,DISP=SHR
> //SYSLMOD  DD  DSNAME=V110GAD.LOAD(JKHIVX52),DISP=SHR
> //SYSUT1   DD  UNIT=3390,SPACE=(CYL,(1,1))
> //SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
> //SYSIN    DD  *
>    INCLUDE SYSLIN(JKHIVX52)
>    NAME JKHIVX52(R)
>
> I am doing something wrong?
> Can this deck be linked into a usable z/OS load module?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gadi

Email secured by Check Point