An interesting fact in this announcement that could be a light for the future
is the recommendation for installations that use up to 15TB of tape processing
daily to use the TS7770 with TS4300 and LTO8 or LTO9 units, which will
certainly reduce the cost of media acquisition.

The LTO units will only be used for destage and offsite storage, not being
accessed directly by the zSystem via the ficon channel, even because the
3592-C07 control unit is no longer marketed.

Extracted from announcement letter (
https://www.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=AN&subtype=CA&htmlfid=897/ENUS921-136&appname=USN
 )

Mainframes

    For smaller environments with less than 15 TB daily, C06/C07, migrate to
the Rack Mount IBM TS7770 with TS4300 with LTO drives. This requires an RPQ.
    For larger environments with more than 15 TB daily, C06/C07, migrate to the
TS7700 and use the Copy Export functionality.
    For TS7700 virtual environments, migrate TS1140 tape drives to TS1150s tape
drives. All drives need to be migrated as the TS7700 must have the same type
and model of backend drives.

Carlos Bodra
IBM zEnterprise Certified
São Paulo – SP – Brazil