> Not having seen the zOSMF method,

Since you have not actually seen it yet, please allow me to clarify a few
points.

> ... I know serverpac full
> system replacement needs a usercat (that would become the master cat
> if you wanted to replace that and IPL the new system) for allocating
> and restoring the 'collisions' (all allocated data sets in lnklst
> and the logon proc).

Creating a new user catalog (that could become a new master catalog) is an
option in z/OSMF.  It is not required.

> Both zOSMF and serverpac go and set the SSA
> into that usercat, I think. What I don't understand is why my 2.5
> serverpac wants to cement the SSA in the DDDefs. I deleted all of
> that before running the UPDDDD job. But then with serverpac, I get
> to see the jobs before submitting them. zOSMF might do it the same
> way and I think that is where Terri has the problem with the aliases
> she keeps mentioning.
> And I didn't understand why the SSA should get cemented in the dddefs,
anyway.

In z/OSMF, if you choose to create a new user catalog (that could become a
new master catalog), then z/OSMF automatically adds a temporary catalog
alias (aka SSA) to connect the new user catalog with the existing master
catalog.  This temporary catalog alias prefix is added to the data set
names in the DDDEF entries.  This is done so z/OSMF and SMP/E can find the
data sets through normal catalog search no matter on which system z/OSMF
and SMP/E are running on.  That is, while running on either the driving
system using the existing master catalog or on the new target system once
IPLed using the new master catalog.  But again, if you don't want to
create a new user catalog (to become a new master catalog), then you
shouldn't choose that option, and no temporary catalog aliases will get
created or added to the data set names.

And by the way, z/OSMF does allow you to see the JCL before submitting.

> What I found really annoying in my serverpac was that I was asked
> for the jobclass for sysout data sets, dutifully specified an
> asterisk (take the one from the jobcard) and then got generated
> statements like this: SYSPRINT DD *. It took me a while to
> understand why I had gotten either abend001 or abend04c and had no
> sysprint to look for the reason.

I'm confused.  ServerPac is available now in two forms; the old-school
CustomPac Installation Dialog, or z/OSMF portable software instance.  Is
this a comment on the workflows supplied with the z/OSMF portable software
instance, or with the CustomPac Installation Dialog?

Kurt Quackenbush -- IBM, z/OS SMP/E and z/OSMF Software Management
Chuck Norris never uses CHECK when he applies PTFs.