Way back when (long before UNIX was added to MVS) the network sysprog told me
that USS stood for Unformatted Screen Services.

Years after that but years (decades?) ago, I noticed that some VTAM books were
talking about UNIX System Services in a context completely unrelated to UNIX.

I sent feedback that this was not the correct expansion of USS in this context.
I expect others also did. References to UNIX were soon removed.

But I wonder if that is why VTAM books talk about Unformatted System Services
now - because they changed UNIX to Unformatted, but not System to Screen.

Cheers,
Greg