From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Bill Johnson
Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2021 5:50 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: The Great Resignation

I doubt Jesus said a man unwilling or unable to work shouldn’t eat. And, I’m
not surprised the low wage earners are unwilling to work for $2.13/hour (tipped
wage) plus tips. The federal minimum wage hasn’t gone up in over a decade. If
the minimum wage I worked for in 1975 had kept pace with inflation, it would be
over $20 an hour now. In most of Europe, restaurant workers make a living wage
plus benefits. Tipping is optional. Plus, their health care is single payer and
better/cheaper. Don’t get me started on their fabulous infrastructure, mass
transit, and education systems.
Factor in many don’t want to go back to work while a fourth wave of covid is
raging. (Thanks to the GOP and trumpers pushing against public health) Then
there are women who can’t afford child care because it eats up the majority of
their wages. Funny that the build back better legislation intended to address
that and provide child care help like most of the rest of the world provides.
My brother in law made a career out of the restaurant business. He’s making 6
figures now as a regional director but works 70 hour weeks, has had 2 heart
attacks, smokes like a chimney, and will never see retirement from the hamster
wheel.
Younger Americans are not buying into the rat race. Conspicuous consumption
isn’t their religion. And as we are seeing, the baby boomers are much to blame
for global warming, the results we are seeing in fires, floods, polar icecaps
melting, and yes, the recent record setting tornadoes in Kentucky, Tennessee, &
other states.
America is in decline when a two bit reality TV show host, who lies
incessantly, has molested 20+ women, cheats on his taxes, and tried to overturn
a free and fair election, can get 35% of the populace to follow him.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Saturday, December 18, 2021, 5:04 PM, Bob Bridges <robhbrid...@gmail.com>