Bob,

ooRexx has socket support (first google hit:
https://snys.nl/index.php?page=en/tutor/sock_08_oorx_client.html
<https://snys.nl/index.php?page=en/tutor/sock_08_oorx_client.html> ) , as have
Regina-Rexx (ANSI-Standard), NetRexx (Java classes as output)  and NetRexx
Pipelines (if you are a CMS person). These all eventually get to the platform’s
network stack socket implementation, but in a more pleasant way.

Best regards,

René.