John,

The .ATTR control variable in the panel definition can be used to
dynamically change the display attribute of a field in a panel.
body or area section. One of the things it can be set to is  the name of a
dialog variable, preceded by an ampersand. The
variable must contain the name of an input or output field that occurs in
the panel body, .CURSOR, or a blank.  Examples:

.ATTR (.CURSOR) = COLOR(YELLOW) HILITE(REVERSE)
.ATTR (&FLD)    = HILITE(&HLTE)
.ATTR (&FLD)    = PAS(ON)

Mike Shaw
MVS/QuickRef Support Group