This worked for me - could your default file permissions not include execute
(x) ?

SPLBD:/home/splbd/tmp: >dir

total 34

                    drwxrwxrwx   2 SPLBD    SYS1        8192 Feb  2 06:53 .

                    drwxr-xr-x  17 SPLBD    SYS1        8192 Feb  2 06:52 ..

- untagged    T=off -rwx------   1 SPLBD    SYS1          30 Feb  2 06:53
test.rex
SPLBD:/home/splbd/tmp: >./test.rex

Hello World!

Lionel B. Dyck <><
Website: https://www.lbdsoftware.com
Github: https://github.com/lbdyck

“Worry more about your character than your reputation. Character is what you
are, reputation merely what others think you are.”   - - - John Wooden