Esteemed listers,

I have been tasked to put a procedure in place that will generate an alert when
a batch job "takes longer than usual" to complete. Yes, I know, that is a
rather vaguely stated requirement...

I know I can find figures about the elapsed time of a batch job in one of the
SMF records. I think I can build a database of historic runtimes and with a bit
of thought, I am sure I can come up with a query that will list me the
"outliers".

But in order to generate an alert when a job takes too long, I will need some
mechanism that gives me the information about that job while it is still
running. And while I could perhaps interrogate the system (although I don't
have a clear idea on how to actually do that) every so often about the running
jobs and compare the time taken of each running job to the database, I am
afraid that would take far too much resources. Indeed, with several hundreds if
not thousands jobs running at any give time, the task of getting all the
figures of these running jobs and comparing this to the database will
definitely not be cheap in system resources.

We don't have any budget for vendor products, I am afraid...

And we're short of MSU's...

Any suggestions?

Thanks and very best regards,

Jantje.