John Gilmore wrote:

>"A lot less cycles" here replaces a derisory number of them by an exiguous
>one.  Jantje's example could be further "refined", but to what end?

Your point is well taken.

I think the OP wants to check whether a DB2 system is available or reachable
from somewhere [1]. The only way to be sure is connect to a DB2 system and
query something inside DB2.

If the OP needs to check it regurlarly, your DB2 query must be fast and
furious, not be a 'SQL from hell'.

[1] - It is one thing to see that all your DB2 address spaces are up and
running, but it is another thing try to access from somewhere all the way from,
say, your PC, TCP/IP up to the DB2 master address space.

I am sure the OP will get a good answer on DB2 List.

Disclaimer: While I have worked with DB2 (setup from PARMLIB, Proclibs and RACF
side), I'm not a DB2 guru. I am too lazy anyway... ;-D

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht