PCRE?

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
David Crayford [dcrayf...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2022 11:35 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: looking for 'how to' developing Rexx host command

On Sun, 2022-03-20 at 10:08 -0500, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2022 07:56:39 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:
>
> > TSO/E Rexx Reference Chapter 14. Language Processor Environments?
> >
> Wouldn't a SAMPLIB member be nice?  In a HLL?

Writing a REXX command processor in a HLL is non-trivial to do correctly. I've
done it a few times and it requires creating a persistent LE environment and
hanging the pointer on the user area inthe
environment block. Like most things on z/OS, REXX programming services were
designed for HLASM. Unfortunately, for the kind of APIs I'm interested in HLASM
is practically useless. For example, regular
expressions
https://secure-web.cisco.com/1zcwmhQDfP3w43bgtLLTfqgfquwmvKtHyKxkeXoo2pwlKZnmHKubm9IgbehcXUMaSRUvaEdPtbH79-0CZ30CeuslyETSCoPogZKiHdS9lnPt0OXlOV2A1sZGJH1j2ZlRptWqebMlsvE26C_jDXTFaXgQwwpSR4PfcyY2a3fHtEEFPy8N1_EUhKhgNJ4qKrOEzp6jQE_jSCNpvkXsh0td0Atyfzpzn85YvAjgTe-uL_bIgjp-HQoFpsdnKO_USxUiVxvRukM8wHuQLKtjVhDMgqvI3acfBOPJV1xYg3rATQBgwkriE0Ey8C3BtYm8aXHNI2qhJdDLtiR3QZHo90qFKkTga0SshiTOaC9Cn20kfOeXkBwCF8mmt0enaJQnalSmeZbQOZClq3sRCF9rgGZTkAaC-NMWPVp8tZ9C3LobJmxH2MvzLHyNlELnLUQl2PsN_/https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fdaveyc%2FRTK.

It's far easier to just use a more contemporary programming language which has
a modern API for writing packages. Although, then you need to know C/C++ for
Python, Lua, Ruby, Node etc.