On 2022-03-28 02:45, Rupert Reynolds wrote:
Related: how does LE handle strings with embedded troublesome bytes such as
x'00'? And is it different between PL/I and C?

Conventional strings in PL/I can contain any character.
VARYINGZ strings are terminated with a character X'00'.

I am reading the PL/I Programming Guide,

Read the Language Specification, and check out VARYING and VARYINGZ.

but it takes but I'm hoping there
is an easy off-the-cuff answer.

Most of my PL/I experience was before LE, you see.

---