>>5. A tape drive and controller
>
>Not required. Are you thinking of initial startup/OS installation? On this
>vintage
>machine there should be non-tape IPL (startup/“bootstrap”) options, notably
>HMC DVD.
>Such options were standard well before the z114. Assuming Enzo gets a working
>HMC with
>the z114, and assuming the HMC was ordered/shipped with the z114 (rather than
>an older
>carry forward HMC), it should also support USB flash memory drives. And there
>are some
>network-based options with the HMC. Without the HMC startup is “much more
>interesting”
>at least.

Based on what I read in the z114 technical guide, I thought that unless the
machine was running in an ensemble mode, the HMC just acted as a remote
management console for the SEs. Does the HMC have extra features that the SEs
don't? I also have an IBM TS3200 tape library (one of the small 4U rack mount
units) that I got broken and repaired. I'll have to see what kind of controller
I would need for it. I have seen some FICON switches that advertise having a
tape license, I wonder if this means that the controller unit is built in to
the switch.

>>6.  A cluster controller and 3270 terminals, with licensed internal code
>
>Fun perhaps but not at all required. A cluster control/3270 terminals were
>vintage way >before the z114 debuted. And if the z114 has OSA-Express
>1000BASE-T adapters > (likely) then it should be capable of OSA-ICC if that’s
>even needed.

I wish. I think that the old green screen CRTs still look quite cool.

>>9. An operating system. I doubt that you can get a license for anything
>>that will run on a box that old...
>
>Standard commercial licensing IBM z/VSE 6.2 (and VSEn 6.3 I believe) licensing
>and
>delivery are still available for the IBM z114 without any unusual or
>exceptional
>steps.(*) Standard commercial z/TPF 1.1 licensing and delivery might also be
>possible
>depending on how the z/TPF team packages/ships their PUT levels. (Not sure.)

I'd really like to get my hands on z/TPF. All of the other major IBM OSes have
either ADCD releases, or 24-bit predecessors that are open source, so you can
get some experience playing around with them. z/TPF has nothing, and I have
never even seen someone do a video, or write an article about it online. It
seems like the ulitmate challenge for the mainframe hobbyist.

>>It's likely to be less expensive to use one of the IBM offerings.
>
>Perhaps, but it depends on what the objectives are. If for example Enzo would
>like to >get into the commercial z/VSE or VSEn service bureau business then a
>used z114 machine
>might be a reasonable entry point.

I am sorry, but I have never head this term before, and I could not find a
definition online. Is there any way you could elaborate?

>There are several issues that you will need to deal with in order to
>get a running system.
>[....]
>2. Licensed internal code for the CEC, which may or may not
>need an upgrade

I’d say this part doesn’t matter. Whatever level(s) of LIC firmware are on the
machine are probably going to be good enough for Enzo’s purposes.

>[....]
>5. A tape drive and controllwe

Not required. Are you thinking of initial startup/OS installation? On this
vintage machine there should be non-tape IPL (startup/“bootstrap”) options,
notably HMC DVD. Such options were standard well before the z114. Assuming Enzo
gets a working HMC with the z114, and assuming the HMC was ordered/shipped with
the z114 (rather than an older carry forward HMC), it should also support USB
flash memory drives. And there are some network-based options with the HMC.
Without the HMC startup is “much more interesting” at least.

>6.  A cluster controller and 3270 terminals, with licensed internal code

Fun perhaps but not at all required. A cluster control/3270 terminals were
vintage way before the z114 debuted. And if the z114 has OSA-Express 1000BASE-T
adapters (likely) then it should be capable of OSA-ICC if that’s even needed.

>9. An operating system. I doubt that you can get a license for anything
>that will run on a box that old...

Standard commercial licensing IBM z/VSE 6.2 (and VSEn 6.3 I believe) licensing
and delivery are still available for the IBM z114 without any unusual or
exceptional steps.(*) Standard commercial z/TPF 1.1 licensing and delivery
might also be possible depending on how the z/TPF team packages/ships their PUT
levels. (Not sure.)

>and I don't know whether the free DOS/VSE, OS/VS or VM will run on it.

Not without a lot of contrivance.

A MUSIC/SP hobbyist license is possibly available if you know the right party
to ask, but I really can’t speak to that and don’t actually know. MUSIC/SP
would probably work on an IBM z114 since that model machine can start in
ESA/390 mode, something that MUSIC/SP requires. MUSIC/SP might be more likely
to do more useful things (such as network I/O) on an IBM z114 when it runs
under z/VM 6.4.

>It's likely to be less expensive to use one of the IBM offerings.

Perhaps, but it depends on what the objectives are. If for example Enzo would
like to get into the commercial z/VSE or VSEn service bureau business then a
used z114 machine might be a reasonable entry point.

(*) OK, granted, it’s unusual for a student to apply for an IBM credit check,
one of the usual procedural steps to obtain a z/VSE license since IBM
understandably wants reasonable assurance its bills will be paid. I assume it’s
even more unusual for a student to pass that credit check. But I’m responding
to your technical point. :-)

— — — — —
Timothy Sipples
Senior Architect
Digital Assets, Industry Solutions, and Cyber Security
IBM zSystems and LinuxONE
sipp...@sg.ibm.com