On Fri, 3 Jun 2022 at 14:05, Paul Gilmartin
<0000042bfe9c879d-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> "urldefense.com" is another thing I'd distrust.  What's their business model?

I think there are roughly three business models for these things.

1) Like Microsoft's safelinks.com, urldefense[sic].com (aka proofpoint) is
part of a package sold to businesses to help protect their employees from
phishing emails. As such, the URLs are replaced on *incoming* email to
those employees,but are then not unmangled on forwarded or replied-to mail.
We see these a lot on these lists.

As well, they doubtless take advantage of the flow of links for their own
purposes, even if they don't directly sell them on to advertising companies.

2) The url shorteners have been around for a lot longer, and once served
a genuine purpose. I think tinyurl.com was the first, and there are a
zillion more. But they have all become just data capturers, with the
only business model being selling your data to the advertising/data
brokerage infrastructure. (Well, there may be a few who provide the
sender-paid service of tracking who clicks on the URLs - I've noticed
IBMers sometimes use these. But I can't imagine they don't also sell
the data on.)

3) And then there are the mailing/marketing list operators, of which,
sadly, Lsoft seems to have become one. Constant Contact is a prominent
one, but there are a zillion. They send bulk emails - in theory
solicited, but in practice they often cross the line into spam.

Of these three only type (1) have decodable URLs, and they generally even
document how to do it, and some provide websites or little JS or
python programs.
By decodable, I mean that the original URL can be extracted from the mangled
one without doing a database lookup. Types (2) and (3) either don't have or at
least don't document how to do this,and so decoding requires
disclosing data to the provider.

> They get to inspect too much of your web traffic.

I never, ever, click directly on a URL in an email. Or on FB, for example.
Copy, unmangle, remove tracking. Then click.

And as we've seen many times, these things get stacked. So a URL
shortener is wrapped by urldefense or safelinks or any number of
others. I don't know if the type (1) wrappers look for their
competitors and avoid double wrapping.

I think Lsoft would do us all a favour if it (optionally) unwrapped
all the URLs it can - certainly of type (1).
It could even do types (2) and (3) and by effectively aggregating the
data, avoid connecting
the ultimate clicker with the creator of the mangled URL.

Maybe Lsoft accepts RFEs. But who are their customers these days?
Presumably not the end users
of their mailing lists...

Tony H.