>This abuse of latin-derived plurals leads to such obsenities as "piece of
>data" where "datum" would suffice and "medias".

>"Why can't the English learn to speak?";was that in Pygmalian, or added for My
>Fair Lady?

Good point, but why restrict it to a few Latin words. Much of English was
debased/converted/changed when the more interesting forms (starting around
600-700 AD) were compressed into what some people regard a "modern" English.
And, of course, many of our "English" words are based on words from other
languages, such as Latin, Greek (older versions), Aramaic, forms of Arabic, and
so forth. These should all be kept to their original forms, even if such forms
have no past/present/future, or gender, or ownership, or singular/plural, or
have multiple extraneous meanings, and so forth.  Also, the way English "chops
up" interesting words (in German, for example) into a string of separate words
might be offensive to some people.

One can take this "sticking to the archaic original" in additional positive
directions. A good example is the vanishing use of the subjunctive in "modern"
English; perhaps the educational system should help restore the expression and
usage of this classic format.

Complaining about a "modernization" or "a way of adapting a few words into
modern English" based almost completely on a few Latin words is very
small-minded in my opinion. Of course in one's daily Latin conversations or
writings one might see this differently.

Bill