Pretty sure the Using Data Sets should describe what is happening.

I do not understand is the Non-sms data set that you say is unblocked.
What does that even mean?  If it is on disk and QSAM .. it is blocked.
SDB should work regardless of SMS or non-sms as long as blksize=0 and the
other caveats in the SDB section are met.

Also.. you say that the Tape data set is unblocked.. I question that as
well.   But I don't see that you included the data set information for the
non-sms and the tape data sets.

Rob.