I am working with my VTA vendor to reduce storage usage on the appliance. Currently, they can compress after the unmount and uncompress before the mount. But, this takes time, especially when servicing the mount request if the tape is large.

I was thinking that doing an IDRC implementation, which is stream based and performed during write/read, it might be faster even if it's not compresses as much as with their current method.

But, if the AWS file is not compatible with IBM's implementation, then it's going to add a step to send them the file. The current compressed files can be uncompressed using standard linux tools.

Tony Thigpen