https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/read-a-file-line-by-line-in-python/

Best
Peter Sylvester

On 31/07/2022 20:29, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:
Thanks Colin, I did already find that manual, but the only two useful things in there for
ordinary programmers is the zos_util documentation and the table of "tagging"
behavior.

There are also the zoautil command line utilities and python API, but the file "read()" and "write()" functions there
assume you can read/write the entire file into/from memory.  No "readline()" ow "writeline()" functions are provided as
far as I can see.  And the "read()" and "write()" functions are quite slow (6 to 9 seconds to read a 300-record
LRECL=80 PDS member for instance).

I was hoping for better integration and performance than what I have seen so far, as well
as better z/OS-specific documentation.  A "Programmers Guide" kind of book.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Colin Paice
Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2022 3:36 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Location of IBM python SDK language and standard library
documentation?

The manual SC28-3143-02 I*BM Open Enterprise SDK for Python 3.10* may be what
you want

import zos_util
f = open("//'USER.Z24C.PROCLIB(PYT)'","r")
read_data = f.read()
print(read_data)

gives

Traceback (most recent call last):

   File "/u/tmp/zos/z.py", line 1, in <module>

     f = open("//'USER.Z24C.PROCLIB(PYT)'","r")

FileNotFoundError: [Errno 129] EDC5129I No such file or directory.:
"//'USER.Z24C.PROCLIB(PYT)'"

I've blogged on several Python topics on z/OS ... see here
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://colinpaice.blog/category/python/__;!!Ebr-cpPeAnfNniQ8HSAI-g_K5b7VKg!N01KSqYEyXJOjU0ho5xjSSa-mOam2p_MmXx6GvuEKYJZN4Jw3NCavz64oy3NIhoCUpc9mWbZjmzLZNuTOtarBwZY9w$
 >.
I'm currently looking at writing an extension to use fopen etc. and read
datasets, so please contact me offline if you would like more info

Colin

On Sun, 31 Jul 2022 at 00:03, Farley, Peter x23353 <
0000031df298a9da-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

I have been looking around on various IBM websites trying to find the
IBM versions of the normal python language and python standard library
documentation to answer a few z/OS-specific python questions.

1.      Does the z/OS implementation of the python language standard
function "open()" accept z/OS Unix System Services file name format
for MVS flat and PDS(E) datasets (e.g., "//'MVS.FLAT.FILE'" and
"//'MVS.PDS(PDSMEM)'")?  (I.E., under the covers does it use the "open()"
or "fopen()" C library function?)
2.      Is the "zos_util" library package available in all versions of the
z/OS python SDK?

TIA for any RTFM or url's you can point me to.  PDF's of the
documentation for offline reading would be welcome if they are available.

Peter

attachments from your system.