From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Pommier, Rex
Sent: Wednesday, May 4, 2022 11:23 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] I knew Cobol 6.3 takes more resources to compile than
4.2 but should I be concerned about how much?

Hi list,

I have an update on this issue.  I opened a ticket with IBM and I'm thinking
they are thinking there may be an issue with the compiler because they're still
looking at it to see if the CPU time can be improved.  As I said earlier, we
have multiple programs and at this point only 1 of them is behaving this bad.
Going from .3 TCB seconds under Cobol 4.2 to 520 TCB seconds under 6.3 seems
more than a bit excessive.

IBM came back to me with a response stating that the INITCHECK compiler option
is the culprit.  We have this option set at INITCHECK(LAX) across the board and
it normally doesn't cause heartburn - except in this one program.  I compiled
the program with NOINITCHECK and the TCB time dropped by almost 90%, from 520
seconds to 54.  Paging disappeared as storage requirements dropped by close to
95%.

Thank you to IBM for finding the problem as well as continuing to look to see
if there is in fact a problem with the compiler.  Thank you also to the
IBM-Main soldiers who are willing to lend a hand when this type of weird thing
crops up.

More to come.

Rex