On Tue, 6 Sep 2022 17:19:22 +0000, Sri h Kolusu wrote:

>I just used a Special character to denote the start of a comment. You can have
>any character.

Are those "comments", which the Guide says must start with an asterisk
in column 1, or "remarks" a term which the Guide uses repeatedly, but
never defines.

>> I suspect the convention would be comfortable, even intuitive, to the
>> experienced HLASM or JCL programmer, but would require explanation to a
>> programmer with a different background.  The Guide should be more explicit
>> about general syntactic conventions.

>The Guide would benefit from greater use of comments and remarks in its
>Examples, both to:
>o make the operation clearer to the reader, and to make the programmer
>familiar with use of comments.
>
>With limit of 80 bytes it is difficult to have detailed comments as a part of
>SYSIN control cards.

JES3 and later JES2 have removed the 80 byte limit many years ago.  DFSORT
would benefit from taking advantage of this.

> ... The application programming guide explains in detail about the control
> cards below.
>Check these links.
>
>https://www.ibm.com/docs/es/zos/2.5.0?topic=iriodse-example-1

Where I see:
    INCLUDE  COND=(5,8,GT,13,8,|,105,4,LE,1000),FORMAT=CSF

This could be clarified with remarks(?) such as:
    INCLUDE  COND=(
        5,8,  #  The number in bytes 5 through 12
    GT,       #  is greater than
        13,8, #  the number in bytes 13 through 20
    |,  # or:
        105,4,  # The number in bytes 105 through 108
    LE,1000   # is less than or equal to 1000
    ),FORMAT=CSF # Indicates all numbers are floating sign.

All comfortably within 80 bytes.

OK.  Far too many remarks.  But when instructing a novice it's better to
err on the side of too much information than of none at all.

--
Thanks,
gil