>> That contradicts "Column 1 ... blank" on page 80.  A blank in column 1 is
>> *used* to indicate a control statement.

Gil,

Not sure as to what is contradictory.

Statement 1 : "Column 1 of each control statement must be blank, unless the
first field is a label or a comment statement (see Inserting comment
statements)."
Statement 2 : " Column 1 of each control statement can be used only for a label
or for a comment statement  that begins with an asterisk in column 1.”

So Blank for Control statement and asterisks for Label or comment field.

>> • Operation definers and operands must be in uppercase EBCDIC. Which EBCDIC?
>>  1047? 500? 037?  Other (specify)?  It matters.

If you looked at the Appendix D you would have found “EBCDIC and ASCII
collating sequences”

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.4.0?topic=sequences-ebcdic

>>"up to 256".  I guess that's OK.  But it requires 4(?) continuation lines
>>This might be a good place for an example of coding continuation.

We just cannot add all the different permuations and combination of examples.
You want an example for INCLUDE and some one else might OMIT and different
relational operator (EQ , NE, GE,GT, LE, LT).  So it is difficult to document
every example and as is the DFSORT application programming guide is already 900
pages long.

>> Is this the same Hexadecimal string format described above?  No mention
>> except in an example of the leading "\".  And that example shows:

The Hexadecimal string definition is SAME across the operators
(INCLUDE/OMIT/INREC/OUTREC…). The leading “\” is used to denote the Hexadecimal
string.

>> Then, Table 37. Examples of Valid and Invalid Hexadecimal String Separation
>> Like table 23, but more extensive.  Is the earlier one necessary?  The word
>> "Separation" doesn't seem to fit.

The different tables are shown depending on which repeating factor you are using

20X  = 20X’40’ = 20 spaces
20Z = 20 X’00’ = 20 binary zeros
20X’F1F2F3F4’  = 20 strings of 1234
…

So we are just showing valid/invalid combinations

>> This publication appears to have grown by accretion, without good editorial
>> control.

To be honest, I feel that you are just nit picking.  You have made it
abduntantly clear over the years that you are NOT a big user of DFSORT and you
would use a different tool to get your work done, but yet you have a comment
for almost every section of our documentation.  I guess it is tough to please
you as on one hand you say it is excessive and other you say it is inadequate.

Thanks,
Kolusu
DFSORT Development
IBM Corporation