From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Joel C. Ewing [jce.ebe...@cox.net]
Sent: Sunday, September 18, 2022 10:31 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Latin

In the 1960's Latin was still highly recommended in the U.S. for anyone
expecting to attend college.   If you started in 9th grade, you could
even take 4 years of Latin by graduation from high school, although many
college-bound students elected only 2 and took either some French or
Spanish.  So many words in English and in many European languages have
their roots in Latin that a knowledge of Latin gave you an edge in
building vocabulary in multiple languages.  For English-only speakers,
it served as an introduction to language concepts that barely exist in
English: of noun gender and declension causing the base forms of written
and spoken words to change based on context.  About the only examples of
this in English are the subjective and objective forms of personal
pronouns (I/me, he/him, she/her. they/them); and the flagrant misuse and
abuse of these forms by public & TV speakers, who ought to know better,
shows even this limited use of declension in English is obviously not
understood by many.

One could argue that a knowledge of the basics of Latin could serve as a
bridge to understanding other languages (including English) in the same
way that knowing the basics of one procedural programming language
serves as a bridge to understanding other programming languages.

     Joel C. Ewing

On 9/18/22 08:17, Bob Bridges wrote:
> "Emmanuel", indeed :).
>
> I never took Latin (and I was astonished when I learned that my youngest
> daughter was taking it in high school; I thought it had long disappeared
> entirely from the public schools, but apparently not), and my upbringing was
> Episcopal not Catholic, so I never experienced the liturgy in Latin.  And I'm
> not sorry that so many old Christmas carols have been translated to English.
> But NO ONE sings "Adeste, fideles" any more!  I do miss that.
>
> ---
> Bob Bridges, robhbrid...@gmail.com, cell 336 382-7313
>
> /* Back in the old days, most families were close-knit.  Grown children and
> their parents continued to live together, under the same roof, sometimes in
> the same small, crowded room, year in and year out, until they died,
> frequently by strangulation.  -Dave Barry */

Joel C. Ewing