Another example is the pthread library which uses a naming convention that describes the context it's operating on. For example, pthread_mutex_lock, pthread_cond_wait etc. I've used this kind of naming convention myself but I only write Metal/C these days and C++ when using LE.

FWIW, the term method is used to describe a virtual function. The reason Java refers to member functions as methods is because by default all functions are virtual unless you declare them final. It's the other way round in C++.