Mark,

>We don't start it in COMMNDxx/IEACMDxx, z/OS starts it as part of the system
>initialization process.

I take it that you mean the CATALOG address space. This has been so as long as
I can remember: CAS starts in asid x'B' (I think) as a limited function address
space to provide *some* catalog services to the IPL process. After other
supporting address spaces have come up, CAS restarts itself as a full function
address space in an asid with a much higher number. x'B' is left unusable for
the life of the IPL. I believe this is described to some extent in the books
and is also mentioned in SHARE presentations (with more details, IIRC).

Regards, Barbara