The OP didn't specify IBM FTP, so I'll mention that could use Co:Z SFTP, which
has a subcomment "dsput" which will allocate a dataset on the target system
matching the source system and then upload the dataset in binary, preserving
record formats.

Example:

//SFTP EXEC PROC=SFTPPROC
//SFTPIN DD *
pwdsn="COZUSER.COZ.SAMPJCL(PW)"
user=myuser
host=myhost

. $script_dir/sftp_connect.sh <<EOB
dsput //HLQ.MYSMF  //HLQ.MYSMF.REMOTE
EOB
//

Note: this works for RECFM=VBS with LRECL <= 32760, which is the range allowed
by dynamic allocation.   If you don't specify a DCB LRECL on your IFASMFDP job,
you will get RECFM=VBS with the magic LRECL=32767 (LRECL=X).  This is IMO a
bug, since the maximum record length for SMF is 32756.   So put
DCB=(RECFM=VBS,LRECL=32760) and stay away from that nonsense.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies, LLC
http://coztoolkit.com
Dovetailed Technologies: +1 636.300.0901

Note: Our website and domain name have changed from dovetail.com to
coztoolkit.com