EQUALS adds an internal sort field of 4 bytes to hold an input sequence
number, which is what you appear to be having trouble with.  You haven't
mentioned it, but removing EQUALS will solve your problem.

If that's not feasible you can, if necessary, use some fancy stuff to add
your own, say, a 6 or 8-byte sequence field on the fly, and use it as the
least-significant key (i.e. so you can remove the EQUALS keyword and avoid
the limit).

btw, EQUALS adds significant overhead to the sort, besides the limitation.
Don't use it just for fun.

If SYNCSORT doesn't have this limitation, it must be using a bigger
sequence field.  Maybe you could ask IBM to allow for that.

sas