This is part of the same “Mainframe is dead” BS.

New research on the global scale of the COBOL programming language suggests
that there are upwards of 800 billion lines of COBOL code being used by
organizations and institutes worldwide, some three times larger than previously
estimated.

A global study with 1,104 respondents from 49 countries found that more than
nine in 10 organizations continue to view COBOL as a strategic priority. It
also found that 83% of organizations believe their COBOL-based applications
will see out another 10 or more years.

Prior estimates were in the 200-220 billion lines.

https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/programming-languages-how-much-cobol-code-is-out-there-the-answer-might-surprise-you/

While other languages come and go. I have coworkers who believed language xxx
was going to replace COBOL. Never happened. Fill in the xxx with dozens of
languages over the years.

Bill J

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone