From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of Bob
Bridges
Sent: Monday, February 6, 2023 1:27 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: I want to cry

I hesitate at this first line, Paul.  I can't tell its context (because you
deleted the post you're responding to, ahem!), but I'm remembering how I got
into programming when I first encountered it:

Professor, on the VERY FIRST DAY of class: So if you're writing a program to
compare two numbers and display the larger one, what's the first thing you have
to do?

Class, after thoughtful silence: Well, you print the larger number...
Class: You compare the numbers....
Class: [Other ideas]

Professor: Nope.  The VERY FIRST thing you have to do is GET THE FIRST NUMBER!

...And he wrote on the blackboard:  GET N1

Then: GET N2

And eventually: PUT ANSWER

The language was PL/C (a subset of PL/1), so the verbs GET and PUT are in the
language; without knowing it, we (well, he) had just written our first
syntactically correct PL/1 program.

On the first or second day of class he handed out cards with JCL on them that
we could wrap around the programs we wrote so as to get answers back at the
printer at the data center.  A week or two in he required us to write a program
that would read data from a catalogued dataset, so we had to code for unknown
inputs.  The realization that other languages used other syntax came later; we
were coding, even with an imperfect understanding of how it works.

Meanwhile I talked with students of a COBOL course who were six weeks into the
class and only then encountering loops - but only in books, for they were a
long way from being permitted to write a program for themselves.  I heartily
recommend how my own teacher did it.

Of course you may not have meant any differently.  But it sounded a little like
it.  Me, I was immediately hooked, and started spending all my free time at the
data center, teaching myself FORTRAN and Basic and writing games and accounting
utilities (accounting being my major).  Had I taken that COBOL course, I'm sure
it would have confirmed me in my initial supposition that programming must be
boring.

---

* Political correctness is the opposite of thought. It proceeds by moral
condemnation and emotional outrage: Anyone who can imagine such a thought must
be a bad person, or a crazy one.  -Maggie Gallagher, 2005-02-22 */