Hi Peter,

The message IEC518I doc says: MLNOMTL Volume does not reside in this Manual
Tape Library.

System programmer response
...System command D SMS,VOLUME(volser) will provide additional volume status.

Programmer response
Report software error category to library subsystem administrator.

One of our customers reported this problem before:

Receive: IEC518I sfw err stat MLNOMTL
I seem to have the MTL business working - had made an error
defining the volume entries, and after I'd initialized the tapes, all
seemed fine. Thanks for your help.

I had originally defined them using the following:

CREATE    VOLUMEENTRY (NAME(VMVS011) +
                       LIBRARYNAME(MTL3590) +
                       STORAGEGROUP(MTL3590))

which actually gives a message, which I didn't notice, saying that the
library name has been defaulted to SHELF, even though it's specified
explicitly.

When I changed it to:

CREATE    VOLUMEENTRY (NAME(VMVS011) +
                       LIBRARYNAME(MTL3590) +
                       LOCATION(LIBRARY) +
                       STORAGEGROUP(MTL3590))

the entries were correct.  Also, as I said, I made sure that all the
cartridges were initialized correctly.

HTH,
Mike Baldwin
Cartagena Software Limited