I migrate the individual dumps directly to ML2 for 30 days.  I migrate them
once they reach 3 days in age.  If I need it longer than that then I just
change the mgmtclas.  Mostly, any problems are fixed within that time.  If you
have dumps that you don't want that get migrated, just HDEL them.

This works whether the volume is sms managed or not.  It's just easier to
manage if it's SMS managed.  I would not migrate them to ML1.

IN any case, you should use whatever values you can live with.  If you don't
know how to process the dumps, then keeping them at all is probably a waste of
time.  :)

Brian