On Sun, 12 Feb 2023 at 07:24, Joe Monk <joemon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Page 4-82 of the PoOPS says:
>
> "If CPU power-on reset establishes the configuration, then it sets the
> architectural mode to one of the following:
>
>    -
>
>    The ESA/390 mode (when neither the ESA/390-compatibility-mode facility
>    nor the CZAM facility is installed)
>    -
>
>    The ESA/390-compatibility mode (when the ESA/390-compatibility-mode
>    facility is installed)
>    -
>
>    The z/Architecture architectural mode (when the CZAM facility is
>    installed)"
>

> So, when a machine is powered on and has both CZAM and 390-CM, what is the
> power-on configuration of the CPU?

Chapter 5 says "The ESA/390-compatibility mode is available only to
a virtual machine under the control of a hypervisor program such as z/VM."
(This is logically the replacement/extension of XC-mode, I believe.)

So how would your question arise? Presumably the (virtual) machine will be
in ESA/390-compatibility mode at (virtual) POR, and the facility bits as
seen by (virtual) STFLE will show that.

These bits in the facility list returned by STFLE seem relevant:

1 The z/Architecture architectural mode is installed.

2 The z/Architecture architectural mode is active.
When bits 2 and 168 are both zero, the ESA/390
architectural mode is active. When bit 2 is zero and
bit 168 is one, the ESA/390-compatibility mode is
active.

168 The ESA/390-compatibility-mode facility is installed
in the configuration.

Surely the hypervisor will set bit 2 off and bit 168 on  when it dispatches
a virtual machine in ESA/390-compatibility mode. What it does with bit 1, I
don't know, but I can't see that it affects anything.

Always the same voices speculating here, eh...

Tony H.