An interesting question is how to tell – from RMF – if an LPAR is shutdown but
not deactivated. In my own code I use the term “idle” – which means near zero
CPU – as that’s the closest I know how to get.

Cheers, Martin

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Radoslaw Skorupka <00000471ebeac275-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Date: Friday, 24 February 2023 at 12:24
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: SCRT and not operating LPAR
Gentlemen,

First, thank you for the discussion. That also helps.

Ad rem:
1. The is no big reason to keep LPAR Activated, Not operating, except
short time between activation and IPL or re-IPL, etc. And SCRT is IMHO
not the most important reason for that. Good reasons were presented by
Martin.
2. I asked mostly out of my curiosity. But it is not senseless at all,
it is good to know *severity* of results of mistaken scenario. Not to
say, the curiosity is good :-)
3. I did some tests.
Test 1. I activated an LPAR and deactivated it few hours later. Result -
the LPAR is not visible in SCRT report. No "required" statement for the
LPAR. Same as for other deactivated LPARs.
Test 2. I shut down the system, but the LPAR remained Activated. 8 hours
later I IPLed another z/OS image in the LPAR. Result - SCRT report
claims there is  8-hour hole in the SMF reporting.

I have some other ideas to test, but this is real customer production,
SCRT report is real, so I come off it.

Regards
--
Radoslaw Skorupka