From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of Al
Sherkow <a...@sherkow.com>
Date: Monday, 27 February 2023 at 17:35
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: SCRT and not operating LPAR
Interesting thread. I thought I would add a few points.

REGARDING the checksum: Of course we don't know exactly what the checksum is
checking, but it is reasonable to assume it is the billable MSUs, CPU
consumption that SCRT calculates. That would be:

E5 section in machine level MSU reports,
B5 section in Country Multiplex MSU reports,
B5 section in Tailored Fit Reports,

I expect there are other assorted things checked to be certain that sites only
change fields that sites should be changing. Sites are supposed to change
(required) to whatever the explanation is. These cells will not be in the
checksum. Sites can change these before or after using the LMS interface to
submit their reports.

REGARDING missing data.

SCRT V25 in 2017 replaced the 95% coverage calculation with the 1 hour gap
reporting in H4 and H6 sections. Generally these use the cross LPAR reporting
to determine if an LPAR is consuming CPU time. (Each LPAR in the SMF70 data has
data on all the other LPARs on the machine, including CPU time. This can be
controlled for environments like service bureaus where you don't want one
customer seeing another customer's usage). This thread is indicating that LPARs
not IPL'd but still "active" are being marked for (required) explanations. I
haven't looked in detail recently but the SMF data also includes SMF70SPN (LPAR
CLUSTER, which for z/OS is the SYSPLEX) and the SMF70STN (8-char SYSNAME of
z/OS) of the other LPARs. I used these fields to determine if the LPAR was
running z/OS. VM images showed up differently; I don't recall how a CF LPAR
using GCPs showed up.

Al Sherkow
I.S. Management Strategies, LTD.

Unless otherwise stated above: