On Tue, 28 Feb 2023, at 20:19, David Crayford wrote:

> Utilizing
> package managers to install packages is a fundamental aspect of
> utilizing contemporary programming languages.

The package manager aspect os more or less irrelevant though.  What
matters is the wealth of add-ons.

(And to my mind, it's a problem.  There's too many alternatives.  If there
was - say - only one package for (eg) Perl that handled SMTP and only
one for JSON and only one for ... it'd be easy to decide which to use.
But there's not ... and they have interdependencies.)

That is, if there was a more complex, or indeed a simpler way of finding
and installing them, that'd be pretty much irrelevant.  Anyone wanting or
needing them would still find & install them,   What's fantastic is that - if
one can decide which add-ons to use, they smplify life a lot.  Then again
my (limited) experience of such things is that their documentation is
often very poor.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.