I agree with most of the sentiments expressed here. But that ship has sailed.
And it is far from true that every operating system provides support for every
hardware facility.

Back when TRAP2 and TRAP4 were introduced (about 25 years ago), OS/390
development (it was pre-z/OS) was not even aware of it. And we were shocked to
learn that debug tool had implemented to the architecture. I hope we can agree
that that was not appropriate - the OS should have provided an API and debug
tool should have used it. Whether that API would have been limited to
authorized users is a different question entirely.

At this point, nothing is going to be done without a strong business
justification.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design