From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Paul Gilmartin
Sent: יום א 26 מרץ 2023 23:43
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: What time is it in Lebanon?

On Sun, 26 Mar 2023 14:26:37 -0500, Mike Schwab wrote:

>https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-65079574

See: <https://www.iana.org/time-zones> and follow links to
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2023-March/032758.html>,
which recommends:
    * To adopt the rule change, use Libyan time (TZ='Africa/Tripoli').
    Alternatively if you have a POSIX-conforming system you can use
    TZ='EET-2EEST,M4.3.5/0,M10.5.0/0' instead.

More relevant to this list, when IBM ships a system outside the USA does it
ship with /etc/profile configured for the POSIX time zone for the destination?
What assistance does IBM supply?  Most desktop and handheld systems come
configured with the tzdata utility (see above).  POSIX time zone definitions
are effectively idiosyncratic, hardly required other than by IBM.  Instances
are hard to find and ugly.  For example, for Tel Aviv:
    TZ=IST-2IDT,M3.4.4/26,M10.5.0

--
gil