From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Farley, Peter <0000031df298a9da-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2023 11:55 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: Stop the ragging on COBOL please [was: RE: ASM call by value]

I am getting increasingly tired of snide or outright dismissive references to
COBOL and by extension to COBOL programmers.

Programmers like me.

Yes, I am also well versed in HLASM, Rexx, awk and gawk, somewhat facile in
SORT (at least as far as knowing and using JOIN's), SQL, JCL and various other
z/OS utilities, MetalC, and lately python and bash scripting.  I even remember
some of the PL/I and Fortran and Pascal I used in college and my early
employment days.  I even remember some SNOBOL, which I actually got to use
productively at a then-major NY bank very early in my career.

COBOL pays my bills and keeps my employer operating successfully and profitably.

COBOL does NOT rot the brain.  Alcohol and various other legal and illegal
substances can, in fact, do that.  Intelligently devising business solutions to
business problems in ANY computer language does NOT rot the brain.

It is not funny or acceptable to say so.  It never was.

Peter