I need to know the length of the string, preferably without needing a new
parameter and altering a lot of code. At which
point I remembered that the XL/C compiler generates inline code for the
strlen(s) function. For those who are interested,
this is:

         LR    R4,R2              copy string ptr
         XR    R0,R0              search for zero byte
         SRST  R0,R4           search
         BO    *-4                   resume search
         SLR   R0,R2             get length

I assume some magic causes the SRST not to "recognize an access exception"
because normally the first register
(R0 here) contains an address limiting the search. Well, that was an
interesting exercise!

Thanks