On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 08:51:22AM -0500, Pierre Fichaud wrote:
> I thought that the 2nd display of the DCB would show the lrecl to be
> 230 and the blksize to be 1150.

As did others, which is why a dump of the DCB was requested to see
the actual values.

> I'm reading the documentation for the umpteenth time and can't see
> what I've missed or done wrong.

Likely you are not setting the unlike concatenation bit in DCBOFLGS
as it isn't set in the dump of the DCB.

>From Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu>'s message
> DCBOFLGS='30'X=DCBOFEOV+DCBOFOPN

Possibly you are setting the DCBOFEOV bit or the system is setting it.
A quick view of your source would show which...

Seymour (and the manual) says you need to set:

>   OI    DCBOFLGS,DCBOFPPC

from z/OS 2.5 DFSMS Using Data Sets IBM SC23-6855-50

  Chapter 25. Processing Sequential Data Sets

  Concatenating unlike data sets

  To concatenate unlike sequential data sets, you must modify the DCBOFLGS
  field of the DCB before the end of the current data set is reached. This
  informs the system that you are concatenating unlike data sets.

  DCBOFPPC is bit 4 of the DCBOFLGS field. Set bit 4, DCBOFPPC,
  to 1 by using the instruction OI DCBOFLGS,X'08'. If DCBOFPPC is 1,
  end-of-volume processing for each data set issues a close for the data
  set just read, and an open for the next concatenated data set. This
  closing and opening procedure updates the fields in the DCB and,
  performs the other functions of CLOSE and OPEN.