>> The data I'm trying to write is mixed up in an input file, so I don't know
>> which DDs I need to write to until I get there.

You Code for ALL the ddnames possible and open them and write to them based on
the file indicator.

>> I know that I could change the program to do an internal sort, but what I'm
>> trying to do is an *interim* solution for testing using the *PC* version of
>> the program, which *can* write to dynamic DD names.

Not sure as to why you need to sort, but you don't have to.

Assuming  the data looks like this

file-header-01
  data rec-01
  data rec02
  data rec03
file-header-02
  data rec-01
  data rec02
  data rec03

again file-header-01
file-header-01
  data rec-01
  data rec02
  data rec03

If that is the case, you just read the header and write it that file if it is a
data record and as soon as you hit the next header record you switch to writing
to the new file.  If the header record is not needed you turn on a switch to
say s-hdr-record-written = 'y' and you check to write the next time you
encounter the header that you have already written to

Thanks,
Kolusu