On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 06:54:40PM +0000, Prashant Joshi wrote:
> I am trying to read VB & VBS binary file in windows using python. I
> tried FTPing file directly, then using Terse and then XMIT but every
> time when I read the file in windows, I get random new line (CR/LF)
> inserted in record. I am not able to read complete record.

Let's see if I understand the problem, here's a summary I see:

You tried 3 transfer mechanisms for the z/OS to your windows machine
(I'm assuming it's from z/OS since this is the mainframe list).

1. FTP -> what options did you use?

2. Terse & XMIT and then ? how did it get to windows?

   What do you have on windows which can process this combination
   of format?

3. IND$FILE which you decided isn't really a candidate due to file sizes.

On the windows machine you are trying to read the resulting file with
python.

Which python: python 2 or python 3?

Did you specify binary mode on the python open call?

The raw VB & VBS files sound relatively easy to read with python by
reading in binary mode and using the BDW/RDW information to separate
the records.

I'm not sure how you would deal with undoing the XMIT and Terse
on windows once you got an intact file there.