Paul Gilmartin wrote, re

>>Just curious-when does it bite you?

>It broke a macro  I wrote.  I don't recall details.  Went to SR.  WAD.

>With a sympathetic aside from development that while they sympathized

>they found XEDIT logic so convoluted that they feared that any

>attempted repair might  cause worse collateral damage.

Tsk. Whoever said that is a piker-I've been in the bowels of XEDIT and it's
quite good code. I'm 99.44% sure, in fact, that reversing that would be trivial
to fix. The thing is, there are surely macros that depend on it, so it would
need to be SETtable-but that's also easy. They just didn't wanna.

>>    ...  this would only matter in CMS UPDATE mode.

>I was once a minor contributor in a distributed shareware develomment

>project (Charlotte).  Patches were submitted as CMS UPDATE.

>I found XEDIT UPDATE inappropriate in that if I had second thoughts

>and restored the previous content of a line, it appeared regardless in

>the UPDATE as a replacement by an identical line.

Interesting. I *always* look at my update decks to understand all changes and
would have just manually fixed that, then re-XEDITed and resaved to make sure
sequence increments etc. were fine. Never had a problem. But if you had some
sort of automation around it, that might be hard, I know.

>I abandoned XEDIT UPDATE and resorted to ISRSUPC UPDCMS8

>to produce my patches.

>    ... So I'm not challenging it being weird/irritating, just curious
> when/how you even notice it! Maybe just if it's the ONLY thing you've done,
> and then PQUIT says

>DMSXSU577E File has been changed; type QQUIT to quit anyway?

>I was trying to automate that in a macro on PF3.

Yeah, that makes sense.