Z hardware is phenomenal. There's nothing like it. From time to time, a potential customer will recognize the value of that hardware, regardless what software workload they anticipate. Of course, if they want the data moving power of a diesel locomotive, they should go with z/OS. But for lots of other workloads, they'll want Linux. No problem!

Just ... watch out ... be wary of the folks who mislabel it "Linux for z/OS". Even with more than 20 years of "Linux for Z", there are still many people out there who cannot separate z/OS the operating system from Z hardware.

-- R; <><

On 5/22/23 10:40, Pommier, Rex wrote:
Hi Bob,

Linux on Z and OMVS are 2 completely different animals.  OMVS is an integral
part of z/OS (try running TCP/IP without it for example).  zLinux is a
completely separate operating system, running in an LPAR or on top of VM just
like another OS image.  Another difference is that OMVS (as part of z/OS) runs
EBCDIC where I believe zLinux is a full ASCII OS running on the z hardware.

Rex

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of Bob
Bridges <robhbrid...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2023 9:48 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Are Banks Breaking Up With Mainframes? | Forbes

Wait, did I misunderstand this?  People buy their first mainframe and run Linux
on it?!

(Color me ignorant, but I've always thought of OMVS as a late add-on.)

---

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format. Thank you.